Mcmansionhell on Tumblr begins with a well-illustrated post: “McMansions 101: What makes a McMansion bad architecture?”
We could add several additional dimensions to the negative design of McMansions:
- A lack of consistency around the entire home. (This post address the front.) Critics suggest McMansions are intended to impress others with their facades but the rest of the home gets little attention.
- Poor quality or a mish-mash of architectural materials. (Think fake stone siding.)
- Mixing a variety of architectural styles such as putting together English Tudor and Mediterranean.
- An oversized emphasis on the garage. (Hence the nicknames “Snout Houses” or “Garage Mahals.”) Critics suggest this emphasizes the private nature of large homes rather than having architectural elements that interact with the streetscape.
- A lack of proportions to the size of the lot, whether it is a large lot or a teardown McMansion sitting on a small lot and near smaller homes.
I look forward to the coming Tumblr posts on McMansions and it some of these design issues listed above will be covered.